What an awesome long weekend I just had (Memorial Day Weekend). I worked my tail off but the end results were so gratifying. On Thursday afternoon and evening of last week, I moved everything off my front porch and swept down the walls, porch floor and steps. Then I took a very stiff brush with a long handle and knocked down all the debris from spiders and other bugs and peeling paint from the ceiling and walls. I worked until dark but even got it all mopped with a solution of two gallons of water, 1/2 cup of bleach and a cup of laundry detergent. It still looked pretty rough but it smelled good and there were no more spiders and their nasty webs. The wind was blowing about 20-25 miles an hour so I knew the porch would dry by the next day when I would start painting. Here’s my “before” pictures:
On Friday morning I took a trip with my beautiful daughter to Roanoke/Salem area and we visited four spots looking for flowers for my gardens, stands, gazebo and porch. We had such a great and much overdue trip together. Those beauties will be shown in another post after they’re where they need to be and taking root.
On Friday afternoon, the paint brushes came out and I spent about five hours painting the columns and wooden trim and part of the ceiling. Most of the ceiling is a very pale blue siding but it’s has a wide section that flows from the porch columns up to the siding and it’s wood. I painted it as well in the brilliant white that I put on the columns. They looked so good but while on my step ladder I realized how dirty the ceiling was and the white siding didn’t look so white so I went at them with a vengence and what a difference. Everything dried overnite while I worked in the yard on other projects and hubby built me another shelf on the entrance to the porch just like the one on the opposite post. We use these to sit our binoculars for watching wildlife on the mountain.
On Saturday morning I started putting the stain and water repellent on the porch and it took about four hours because I used a brush and got down on my knees to make sure everything was covered really good. It was dried by 8:00 p.m. but no furniture was to be placed on it for 24-48 hours. On Sunday afternoon, I cleaned up all the furniture and put felt pads on everything. Here’s the results:
The end results and very nice, clean porch that has been washed down, painted, weather proofed and furniture minimized and cleaned as well. Out damned spiders!! Not sure how long it will look this nice with two cats and a dog always on it and muddy feet when it rains but it is so gratifying at the moment and a little swish with a broom and a mop to wipe off tracks and we’ll be set. We’re already enjoying the evenings listening to the quiet!!