Did I tell you I set up some new strawberry beds? My strawberries produced a lot of berries last summer but decided I needed some more not only for new plants but for the runners of my old plants. They get thick really quick and need to be thinned for bigger berries.
One of the things we need to make this year is framed tops with screen to go over the top of the tires to keep the deer from eating the bloom and the berries. The tops will sit about six to eight inches from the top of the tire to give the strawberries room to grow up. I will be able to water them through the screen and lift the tops off to pull in unwanted wire grass and other weeds.
The dirt would have been very expensive to fill all of those tires, but we had one of our ponds cleaned out last year and we used that dirt to fill the tires. It set up really bad but with determination and a little hard work we got it all worked up really well and the strawberries love it as do the blueberries. I topped off the blueberries with dead pine needle mulch from our woods and I can’t wait to have enough blueberries to make some more delicious muffins, cobblers and just to eat a handful when they’re ripe.
In the spring I need to do some mulching with straw on the outside of the tires because the weeds get so tall and drop unwanted seed and the beds are too close to get between with a lawn mower.
So now we wait for spring!!!