Hubby and I spent most of February tearing out our old loading pen. It was well over 50 years old and was worn out. Instead of repairing like we normally do we decided to start over with this section of the pen. The far end with the working head chutes and calf pens are on the opposite end and were redone three years ago.
This is the working part of the pen we completed three years ago.
Head chute for medical and castrating. We consider this one of the best investments we’ve made in regards to working our cattle. Hubby is less likely to get hurt, less stress on the calves and our daughter is learning to use it too!
The boards have been torn off the posts and cut up for kitchen woodstove firewood. We recycle as much as possible. The old posts will be cut up for the big woodstove.
We’ve rehung some gates, tightened up some posts, and put in some posts. Now, we wait for our lumber to arrive which has been an unexpected delay. Most of the private lumber mills in the area will only cut for commercial folks. Here’s some pictures of the work we’ve done so far and I’ll post more as we get the work completed! I’ve definitely used muscles that have been lazy for some time!!!
Fence posts dug, posts placed, Qickrete poured and hardened.
Heavy equipment used to set some gate posts that we didn’t replace.
Rotted off gate posts at scale house.
Area of most work yet to be done.
Some of the existing gates that we will use again.
We rehung these gates after we replaced the posts.
Generator used to drill the hinge holes in the posts.
Kubota tractor we used to drill the holes for the posts.
We used our milkcans to haul water for the Quikrete
The Massey Ferguson was used to haul in the new fence posts and hauling the pallet of Quikrete.
NOW WE WAIT!!
Posted in CHANGES, Farming, Fencing
Tagged beef cattle, boards, gratification, hard work, loading pens, posts, safety, tractors, work friendly
What an awesome long weekend I just had (Memorial Day Weekend). I worked my tail off but the end results were so gratifying. On Thursday afternoon and evening of last week, I moved everything off my front porch and swept down the walls, porch floor and steps. Then I took a very stiff brush with a long handle and knocked down all the debris from spiders and other bugs and peeling paint from the ceiling and walls. I worked until dark but even got it all mopped with a solution of two gallons of water, 1/2 cup of bleach and a cup of laundry detergent. It still looked pretty rough but it smelled good and there were no more spiders and their nasty webs. The wind was blowing about 20-25 miles an hour so I knew the porch would dry by the next day when I would start painting. Here’s my “before” pictures:
On Friday morning I took a trip with my beautiful daughter to Roanoke/Salem area and we visited four spots looking for flowers for my gardens, stands, gazebo and porch. We had such a great and much overdue trip together. Those beauties will be shown in another post after they’re where they need to be and taking root.
On Friday afternoon, the paint brushes came out and I spent about five hours painting the columns and wooden trim and part of the ceiling. Most of the ceiling is a very pale blue siding but it’s has a wide section that flows from the porch columns up to the siding and it’s wood. I painted it as well in the brilliant white that I put on the columns. They looked so good but while on my step ladder I realized how dirty the ceiling was and the white siding didn’t look so white so I went at them with a vengence and what a difference. Everything dried overnite while I worked in the yard on other projects and hubby built me another shelf on the entrance to the porch just like the one on the opposite post. We use these to sit our binoculars for watching wildlife on the mountain.
On Saturday morning I started putting the stain and water repellent on the porch and it took about four hours because I used a brush and got down on my knees to make sure everything was covered really good. It was dried by 8:00 p.m. but no furniture was to be placed on it for 24-48 hours. On Sunday afternoon, I cleaned up all the furniture and put felt pads on everything. Here’s the results:
The end results and very nice, clean porch that has been washed down, painted, weather proofed and furniture minimized and cleaned as well. Out damned spiders!! Not sure how long it will look this nice with two cats and a dog always on it and muddy feet when it rains but it is so gratifying at the moment and a little swish with a broom and a mop to wipe off tracks and we’ll be set. We’re already enjoying the evenings listening to the quiet!!
Posted in ENTERTAINING, HAPPINESS, Hard work, Home, PLEASURES, Porches, Satisfaction, Tranquility
Tagged cleaning, furniture, gratification, PAINTING, porch, scrubbing, spiders, work well done