This little jewel is my 3rd orphan this year. She is the second born twin and she might weigh in at 25 pounds!!
She is just so precious and had a really rough and amazing beginning into our world. Her mother has had calves two seasons prior but never twins. We knew she was having problems for over a week before Miracle was born. She would go off to herself and was constantly twitching her tail. As I’ve said before we try to let Mother Nature take its course and try not to interfere with the births of our cattle. During the night on September 2nd, she was born after her twin and the long birth made her very weak and she did not have enough strength to get up to nurse. When we found her the next morning we were positive that she would not make it. Eddie took her huge brother to be disposed of and we left letting Mother Nature take it’s course. Two hours over when I went to check on her I thought she was dead and let mom have time with her until Eddie could return to take her away also. Four hours later we went to get her and Mom was off grazing, buzzards were settling in and I found her still alive but breathing hard. I ran off the buzzards and carried her to some shade. Mom had cleaned her up some but she was still not able to get up. I came back to the house, mixed up some electrolytes (energy drink) and fed her a couple times the rest of the day with Mom hovering and not happy about it. Still we didn’t expect her to make it but the next morning she was alive and Eddie thinks she may have nursed one time during the night but still so weak she couldn’t get up without help. The next day Eddie had to be away from the farm and I ran vultures from her all day and Mom had decided to join the rest of the herd. Anxious and knowing with a little help she would be okay so I loaded her up in the truck, brought her to the house, put bedding in the new “emergency calf barn” (that we never thought we would have to use) and bedded her down and gave her a pint of colostrum every three hours that day. By the next day she was able to get up on her own but was still very weak. This day I traded back forth between colostrum and electrolytes and by the end of the day I knew my prayers had been answered.
I kept her cleaned up and kept wiping her down with a light fly spray because the flies have been horrid on the cattle this summer and our neighboring farms are dealing with pinkeye and foot evil. Miracle had been through enough without this drama!!
Well today is a big test! We’re reintroduced her to her real mom. While out checking the cows yesterday, her mom was trying to take another cows new baby. This morning we brought her to her real mom and placed them in a small barn lot together. Mom wants her right off but Miracle can’t understand why that bottle looks so different! 😉 They’ve been together in a very small corral for about
five hours and we’re moving them into another larger corral now. We’ll hold them together for at 48 hours and see how things go. I’m more afraid that we may have waited too long and mom’s milk may have dried up. So far, Miracle seems to be satisfied but 24 – 48 hours will tell the real story. I’m keeping her crib ready just in case and praying Mother Nature will be kind.
More updates to come in a couple days. Prayers please!