My secret project is complete!! I’m so excited to show you my latest project. I have in the last few years developed a passion for the beautiful barn quilts I’ve seen as we’ve took drives through the gorgeous farmland in West Virginia.
I decided about a month before my vacation in May that I was going to have one on the barn at the entrance of our farm. Needless to say I didn’t think it was going to take two months to complete it but I finally did last weekend and my wonderful husband had a carpenter friend of our put it on the barn on Friday while I was at work. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I came home from work on Friday afternoon and it was staring me in the face along with the “CALDWELL FARM” sign I had painted and our “Century Family Farm” sign. You’ll see pictures of all three at the end of this post but first I thought I would write about the steps it took to get the “quilt” finished.
When we told the kids what I was working on my son-in-law wondered why I thought a quilt would last very long nailed to the front of a barn in the wind and weather. He did not realize that the “quilt” was being painted on a board and attached to the barn. We all got a kick out of that!!
First I had to decide what the block/quilt would look like. I had so many favorites and it took as much time to choose one block than it did the whole process of painting.
I chose this design because it resembles my first quilt project and the block was called “morning star”. This block is just a little different. The colors I started to use were red, white and blue but when I actually marked the pattern out I decided to go with my favorites which are burgundy and hunter green.
Next I had to cut the plywood (3/4″ good stuff”) but my husband did this for me after we measured about 10 times. Then I painted the board front and back with a high quality exterior high gloss white paint. I put four coats of paint on with a 24 hour delay between each coat. Once the last coat dried I divided the board up into one foot squares, drew in the design from the picture above and marked it off for the first color.
You can see the pencil marks I drew as a guide where to place the tape. Once it was taped up I painted another four coats of high quality exterior paint within the lines of the design. It was easy for me to see where the design was going but hubby was totally confused and just couldn’t see it coming together.
I added the additional colors step by step and it took about six weeks just to get the painting complete and then I covered the entire board front and back with four more coats of a high quality polyurethane and let each coat dry at least 48 hours between coats. Here is the finished quilt before mounting on the barn and after mounting on the barn. The last photo shows the farm sign, barn quilt and the century farm sign. I’m just thrilled with the results and I think my barn quilt is the first in the county!!