Mansion craft room

Posted on Updated on

We have a beautiful old house on the property that was the families original home in the 1800’s.  Right now it’s used mainly for storage, has no heat and no electricity within the house.   It’s been in the family for at five, maybe six generations.

"The Mansion"
“The Mansion”
The Mansion
The Mansion
It was and still could be a beautiful home if we were rich!
It was and still could be a beautiful home if we were rich!
Back of the house and looking into the kitchen window where the playing will be done!

I’m in the process of turning the kitchen into a crafting/DIY room for all of my projects that can’t be done in my quilting/sewing room.  Electricity could be used for small hand tools and some lighting but first I need to clean it out and get it organized.  I may have to call a friend in the fair state of Maryland for this undertaking.   Everytime we get together we find “treasures” in the mansion.

IMG_0024

From this picture you can tell I’ve started the clean out and still have some more junk and treasures to move.

Great table for working on and storage underneath.
Great table for working on and storage underneath.
Wood cookstove and chair that has possibilities.
Wood cookstove and chair that has possibilities.
Junk and treasures.
Junk and treasures.
Other side of the great work table.
Other side of the great work table.
Table and a cart for storage!!  YIPPEE!
Table and a cart for storage!! YIPPEE!
Kitchen sink covered with junk and treasure.  Storage under the sink in the way of shelving and drawers.  I see it coming together!!! :)
Kitchen sink covered with junk and treasure. Storage under the sink in the way of shelving and drawers. I see it coming together!!! :)

Through the door in the last picture is an enclosed porch where I start my plants and “greenhouse”!!  In the back of the room is a place for a woodstove but that would take up too much room.  This would be used mainly in the three warmer seasons of the year, when I’m not doing ANYTHING else!  RIGHT!!!

IMG_0023
This window is going to be one of the first projects I’ll be working on but that’s will be in a couple months, I expect!!

Looks like I got some great things to work on this summer when I can’t get out in the sun!!  Updates on my progress will be coming soon!!

15 thoughts on “Mansion craft room

Chase & Chance's Mom said:
    June 10, 2014 at 9:30 am

Wow that is a spectacular house on the property. I love old houses. Ours was first listed in the Holland Register in New York in 1838 the year they started it. Looking forward to reading through your blog!! Tina

countrygirllifeonthefarm responded:
      June 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thank you and glad you are following along. Hope you get some enjoyment from the blog.
      Rita

Chase & Chance's Mom said:
        June 10, 2014 at 10:03 am

It looks right up my alley!! I too am a country girl on a smaller farm but trying to live the farm life :-)

countrygirllifeonthefarm responded:
          June 10, 2014 at 10:07 am

There’s nothing to compare it to and I can’t wait until I can give up this job and be home full time. Five years to go if I can stand it!! ;)

Debra @ Frugal Little Bungalow said:
    June 7, 2014 at 8:23 am

Oh you sure do have your work cut out for you! :)

dayphoto said:
    June 5, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Your house is lovely!

Linda

countrygirllifeonthefarm responded:
      June 5, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Linda!! The house related to this post is one of three old homes (white sided, red board and log) on the farm that needs lots of work inside and out. The house we live (white) in still needs lots of work as well but it’s nice to have a different challenge. Our house needs painting in the living room, master bedroom and bathroom and that’s not even mentioning what all needs to be done upstairs. I’m waiting for warmer weather to start on the living room. IF I ever get to retire there will never be a day of boredom or lack of things to do!

crookedbrandranch said:
    June 5, 2014 at 9:07 am

Oh that is so fascinating! I wish I could help you! I love old places like that…such history! Looking forward to reading more about your project!
    -Lori

countrygirllifeonthefarm responded:
      June 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

Lori,
      I’ll make sure to post progress as I go. I have a girlfriend in Maryland that’s chomping at the bit to get in there with me.
      Have a great week! Thanks for following my blog.
      Rita

countrygirllifeonthefarm responded:
    June 5, 2014 at 8:52 am

I will try the hanging wire cage and appreciate the help! I’ve heard all kinds of things to do but this year so far nothing has helped and there’s more and more of them becoming broody.

Carol Trutt said:
    June 5, 2014 at 8:31 am

What a great place! If only there was time and money it would be fantastic

Marla aka Crazy Mom said:
    June 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm

What a neat place to have on your property!

Colin Huggins said:
    June 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Another trio of blogs!!! You are a busy bee.
    The “mansion” will be a major task but the end result
    may be stunning. The house with a history back to 1800
    sure could tell some fascinating stories!!!

As for the broodiness of those hens.
    Put them into a hanging wire cage, that will take the
    broodiness desire away – pronto. They can’t get comfortable.
    I learnt that one from my grandmothers, grand aunts – all
    of whom had chooks! No hen went on strike from laying
    with them unless specially selected to do so when that particular
    hen got the broody desire! As you no doubt know some hens are
    far better mothers than others in the “mothering” department.
    I can assure you the hanging wire cage works!

Another wonderful day here – bit chilly for me in the early morning
    about 17 Celsius but it warms up to 26 Celsius about noon, so still
    short sleeved and shorts weather!

Glad that you are enjoying the postcards – I’ll see if I can find some
    more from other areas around Brisbane etc.

Colin Huggins said:
      June 5, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Post 2 is on the way. Let’s hope it is faster than the Havana postcard from my sister from her Cuban trip – took 4 months!!!
      The card from Havana is included in the post.

Comments are closed.